May 30, 2011

A Quick Trip in CQ AKA What does Central Queensland in Australia look like?

JD and I visited my mum and my stepfather one recent weekend. They live about 1½ hours away and though I usually try to see them every 4-6 weeks, we haven't been able to manage it for a few months. 

When we go up to visit we usually take the pets with us and this time, along with our three cats, we took the two grown dogs as usual and our pup Genevieve who is about five months old. This was her first trip up there, and she loathed every single minute of the trip. Once she got there though, she ran around and thoroughly enjoyed herself. 
Genevieve the pup and Scout playing with a new toy.
Rachel, Genevieve and Scout playing in mum's backyard.
Whilst at home the cats are indoor cats, but when we visit mum they have a little holiday and can go outside. Stanley and Cinnamon love the outdoors and thoroughly enjoy their stay.
Stanley the cat and Genevieve the pup took the
opportunity for a good play in the dirt and leaves.
We stayed just the one night but spent half of Saturday and all of Sunday there. Since I rarely remember taking my camera with me on my visits, this time I did take it and both JD and I took photos, mainly along our return trip. For those who have never been to Central Queensland, it may give you an idea of the countryside and the sights you can sometimes see, and maybe give you a tiny little insight into the people who live in this part of Australia.

Here's mum's old ringer washer machine
that she still uses, even though
it's about forty years old.
It may not be all the exciting, but I've never done this before on my blog, so get ready for a trip through CQ ...

On Saturday JD and I went shopping with mum. With JD growing so much, I had to buy him some new clothes for winter plus replace my socks because my other new ones ended up on JD's feet before they disappeared into the black hole beneath his bed.

JD had a go at playing the ukelele while we were there.

Neville was the cheeky announcer
On Sunday afternoon JD stayed back with my stepfather and brother to play computer games, while mum and I went to a cent-sale. You may recall an earlier blog entry I wrote about how much I enjoy these kinds of outings. While I usually have to struggle to stay awake, this outing was the most enjoyable cent-sale I've ever been to. The announcer Neville was a funny fellow who gave cheek to the people there and received quite a bit of stirring from the crowd himself.

One of the winners at the cent-sale.
Some of the prizes won at the cent-sale on the table near us
The two prizes I won at the cent-sale
On the way back, Cinnamon took a nap on top
of the carry box which Stanley likes to travel in
The whistling kite is a common sight in Central Queensland.
Typical countryside in Central Queensland.
More Central Queensland countryside.
A common sight in Central Queensland countryside is
the house on the hill.
A very familiar sight on Australian roads are transport trucks
that take anything from groceries to houses to oversized tyres.
One way to move a house or a building is by truck.
Other drivers on the road have to give way for the big guys!
The distances between cities or towns in Australia often
amaze international travellers.
JD and I spotted a couple of lovely old cars that
had been done up - they were gorgeous!
These two old cars were actually travelling faster than us.
As people move from the countryside into the cities, small
towns shrink and the old church congregations shrink too.
This old country church has been converted into a home

complete with outdoor dunny (toilet) and water tank.
This country church has also been converted into a home.
A typical country town complete with homes and farm machinery.
Almost every little town in Australia has at least one pub.
Right in the middle of this small town, is a home with a horse
stable and of course, the trusty barbed-wire fence.
And here is a typical police station in a small Queensland country town.
We came across a small shower on our way home.
Mt Larcom near Gladstone is a well-known sight.
The rainbow was a nice welcome as
we headed into Gladstone.
The mudflats and mangroves around Gladstone are
not particularly attractive, but they play an
important part in a healthy ocean and waterways.
The last long stretch of road as we drive into Gladstone with
the NRG powerhouse in the distance.
NRG is one of the many industries in the Gladstone area.
The setting sun provides the backdrop for
an outline of further industry in the region

No comments:

Post a Comment